2. You’re not too young. You’re not too young to have good ideas, to make good choices, to know what love feels like, to do whatever you want to.
Bonus: You are young enough that if you screw it up and fail, you’ll still have time to try again
3. Be nice to people. You are officially too old to be petty. It’s neither endearing or really even acceptable. You are old enough to say hello and politely excuse yourself from a conversation if someone irritates you or is rude to your face.
4. Talk to everyone. Life is all about options, knowing what is out there, knowing what is going on, and learning different ways you can do things. People are interesting but you won’t know their stories until you’ve talked to them. They’re always happy to talk about the things you’ve done and will usually give you insights on life and how to succeed at everything from throwing a party to entering the business world.
5. Be that person who has something nice to say about everyone. It’s easier to be that person who makes hilarious jokes at others expense; but nobody trusts that person. Nobody thinks, “Ah, yes, that is the person I want as my (vice-president, partner, coworker, etc.).” Your job is to make the people you care for look good. Everyone wants to be with someone who they can be trusted to have their back.
6. Crying in front of people is okay. Everyone does it and sometimes seeing you cry makes people like you more - makes you seem more human. Sometimes it makes you look weak. Most of the time, it’s not as big a deal as you think it is.
7. Your college years will be the most awful and the most wonderful years of your life. Your life is more unstable now than it probably ever will be again. You don’t know what your major should be, who your real friends are, who you’re going to marry, where you’re going to work, or if you’ll even get a job when you graduate. So relax and have a little fun before it’s over.
8. Drinking too much isn’t cute and it never was. Going shot to shot may make you seem cool for the moment, but ten minutes later when you’re puking, crying, or accosting a stranger you seem significantly less cool.
9. Being single is not the same as being alone. As cliché as it sounds, the most important person to have is yourself. You will survive your break-ups and you will fall in love with someone else. Plus you always have friends, family, and the option of a pet.
10. Success is fun. As much fun as it is to party all night, every night with your friends or to see every televised football game of the season, it’s even more fun to get the highest score in the class and accepted to the grad school or awesome job of your choice. Remember to balance your long term and short term goals: work hard, play smart.
11. Fun is fun, too. Getting involved in clubs and causes (both on and off campus) gives you a chance to meet a lot of interesting people and have fun. Pick ones that really interest you and you’ll probably find people with similar passions and interests. Try it, you’ll be surprised.